Monday (16-10-2017): We met up at school, attended the lectures and decided on the main idea of the video – which was the one we had in the very beginning. Then we planned out how to make it happen, chose the place what we were going to do! We have also rented the 360 degree camera from school.

Tuesday (17-10-2017): We went on the place (to the cafe that we have come to an agreement with the manager that we can use for this purpose until opening hourse) and filmed our video while still experimenting with how this type of camera works.

Wednesday (18-10-2017) – Saturday (21-10-2017): I have been working on editing the video with Karlina (my team-mate) a few hours every day and it was quite the adventure (see at the end of the post where I will write my reflection on it).

Sunday (22-10-2017): Me and Karlina met up in order to upload the video to Youtube together and make a cozy thumbnail for it! Then I have started on finishing the group hand in of the “360 video treatment and experience map” by writing the reflection on our experience and work process that I will also put down below!

Struggles and solutions (Reflection):

Due to the lack of experience (only the second time experimenting with the 360 camera) and time for doing the video (we only had the place at our disposition for 3 hours), a video that is not very high quality is an expected outcome so we decided to use it as a representation/unrefined version of an idea – something that could be done and used in a campaign by people with more skills (or even us, if we had more time to focus and work on this specific 360 task), resources (actors & props).

Overall, we can say that we have done a little bit of a “backwards process”, where we have first started by setting the main idea of the video (and the the overall action) in our heads before we started filming and then experimenting with the plot on the spot. Only after that, we started on making the storyboard as a formal tool to express and explain the treatment of the video. This could be interpreted a bad approach but because the idea of the video and the plot was not complex at all, this way of tackling the problem gave us more freedom of creativity with the 360 camera – a tool that we were not very comfortable using yet so we could not have any idea what we could expect from it, before actually getting into the action of filming.

But then again, we only see this video as a method of visualisation for pretty much “raw ideas”, at this stage, and could be developed a lot more from now on, with more time on our hands, or by Fairtrade itself, in the future. But if we had a more complex idea/plot for the video, it might have been an a lot better idea to start with the storyboard in order to avoid confusion and be more organised when making the video.

Also, handling the 360 video represented a real challenge for us – from the very first task, of importing our footage on the computer, to the last one, where we uploaded 360 videos on YouTube. We had to experiment with ways that we can import the video from the 360 camera into the computer and, when it comes to the editing part, we had to “work around it” with the 360 video because a lot of the features of Adobe Aftereffects work in very unexpected ways when they are applied to this specific type of video versus the “flat” normal types. For example, the “tracker” effect did not manage to follow our heads at all when we tried to attach the writing (“our thoughts”) to ourselves so we had to attach it to the closest object next to us that could be trackable.

Something else, that gave us a real challenge when editing, was the way that the flat writing/elements in Aftereffects, turned “a little bit rounded” and 3D when exported and we had to “eyeball” how these things that we added in the video would look in the final product.

Not only that, but we had to predict at which area the video would start (and how much it would fit), in order to place the introduction and the ending of the video there and make the items fit into the specific point of interest.

When finished with editing, we had to upload the video to YouTube – which was our chosen platform, as we are all mostly used to upload videos on this website – but that does not mean it was not going to create us troubles, as novices in 360 videos. When we first uploaded the video the YouTube, we realised that it only worked as a normal video, where the 360 was “flatted out” like you can see in figure 1 so we quickly realised that we have to use a program to convert the video into a form that will be recognised by Youtube as a 360 video and be treated as one.

flat

(figure 1)